Subject: Re: bug#75964: Switching the Emacs build to -Wswitch-enum in src/

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 10:49:43 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked], Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 08:39:11 +0000
> From:  Pip Cet via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> I think we should enable -Wswitch-enum now, and expect it to generate
> more warnings in the future.

I'm not sure I understand what "in the future" means here, but please
don't add warning options that will generate warnings while compiling
the current sources; if they do, either the source code should be
fixed to avoid the warnings before the warning option is turned on by
default, or the warning option should not be turned on by default.  We
strive to have the current sources compile cleanly with the default
warning options, so that any warning draws attention and is fixed
ASAP; thus, having compilation warnings routinely emitted that cannot
be easily fixed is not a good idea because that causes people to
ignore warnings.

Apologies if the above is not relevant to what you were discussing
regarding adding warning options.