Subject: Re: bug#7595: Infinite loop in cc-mode, or the coming of autumn

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 23:25:24 -0800

Hi Alan, Yidong,

On 3/7/11 1:02 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I think the problem is in the Emacs 24 trunk, too.
> 
>> So, it looks like my fault, and I'm not sure how it happened (maybe due
>> to the line number mismatch).  Sorry.
> 
>> With this corrected in the branch, the new problem goes away.  I will
>> make a second release candidate with this fix.
> 
> Excellent!  Thanks for finding it.
> 

Thanks for looking into this: by the time I get a chance to relax for
the day and check my email, it's already fixed. :-)

It never even occurred to me that the patch wasn't properly applied, or
that I should check against the cc-mode CVS; I usually hew closer to the
Emacs trunk cc-mode.  I've never seen patch botch a modification like
this before.  Out of curiosity, I rolled my branch back to the state it
was in when I applied your patch manually, and it worked fine (albeit
with frighteningly mismatched line numbers).  I wonder how many other
silently misapplied changes are lurking in the code.  Maybe we should
start including more context in our diffs?

Alan, by the way: have you considered keeping cc-mode HEAD in a dvcs?
It'd make synchronizing the various codebases easier, and it'd be
possible to simply issue pull requests instead of emailing patches or
manually making multiple checkins.

Thanks,
Daniel Colascione