Subject: bug#7595: Infinite loop in cc-mode, or the coming of autumn

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:54:41 +0000

Hi, Yidong, Daniel, Stefan!

First thing about Daniel's bug: it doesn't occur in the stand-alone CC
Mode running on Emacs 23.2; this version of CC Mode contains my original
patch from a couple of months ago.

Before applying a fix to the current bug (Daniel, are you sure the
current bug is the "same" (whatever that means) as the original bug?),
I'd like to work out what the difference is between stand-alone CC Mode
and the one in Emacs-23.3/..../lisp/progmodes.

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 12:00:23AM -0500, Chong Yidong wrote:
> > we will shall see if we just have to bite the bullet and continue
> > pretesting.  But if it does not trigger for realistic usage, I
> > prefer to leave matters as they are for 23.3---i.e. swapping one
> > rare infloop in 23.2 (Bug#7595) for a different one in 23.3 (the
> > above).

They're nasty little things which are going to happen occasionally (on
perfectly normal buffer content) when people are frobbing random key
sequences.  Does that count as "realistic usage"?

> On reflection, it's probably better to revert the original fix for
> 7595, and go back to the (problematic) prior behavior.  As for the
> patch you proposed, it doesn't look obvious and safe enough to include
> at this late stage.

Aww!  Are you convinced that the two bugs here really are two aspects of
the same bug?  If not, I'd propose leaving in the 7595 fix.

If my patch for 7595 is taken out, does the most recent bug still
happen?

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).