Subject: bug#7595: Infinite loop in cc-mode, or the coming of autumn

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 23:46:18 -0500

Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]> writes:

> The following patch repairs a defect in the original that results in
> an infinite loop in c-beginning-of-statement under the following
> circumstance:
>
> 1 #define some_macro value
> 2
> 3 [P]
> 4
>
> Where [P] denotes the point.

Le sigh.  We can't keep 23.3 on hold while refining this code, with the
problems in each iteration taking one whole month to surface.

FWIW, in my day to day usage of the 23.3 release candidate, I haven't
encountered any looping problems.  Did you come across this in a real
world situation?  If so, please describe it, and we will shall see if we
just have to bite the bullet and continue pretesting.  But if it does
not trigger for realistic usage, I prefer to leave matters as they are
for 23.3---i.e. swapping one rare infloop in 23.2 (Bug#7595) for a
different one in 23.3 (the above).