Subject: Re: bug#75934: [PATCH] services: networking: Add dhcpcd service.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 11:46:41 +0900

Hi Soeren,

[email-masked] writes:

> From: Sören Tempel <[email-masked]>
>
> This is intended as an alternative to dhcp-client-service-type as
> isc-dhcp has reached its end-of-life in 2022 (three years ago!),
> see #68619 for more details.  Long-term, this services is therefore
> intended to replace dhcp-client-service-type.

I was wondering, why can't this replacement happen *today* ?  The old
dhcp-client-service-type could be marked as deprecated, with
dhcpcd-service-type as a replacement.  The system templates under
gnu/system/examples can then be adjusted to
s/dhcp-client-service-type/dhcpcd-service-type/ and the doc of
dhcp-client-service-type can say it is deprecated via a warning.

Thanks for working on it!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim