Subject: bug#75930: 30.0.92; Setting default frame background color messes up mouse pointer

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 16:28:08 +0800

Lars Rustand <[email-masked]> writes:

> Your argument makes sense, but even if we accept that as correct, there
> are multiple things wrong here. Why is there only two out of six
> different ways to change the background that actually causes this to
> happen?
>
> (Even though I think your argument is valid, I still don't share your
> opinon. I think this is unexpected behaviour from an X application. I
> have never seen any other application which modifies my mouse pointer
> colors. But I'll accept your premise for now.)
>
> Given that you are concerned about making things invisible, the current
> x_set_mouse_color *guarantees* that the border around the pointer
> becomes invisible. A much more sensible default for this would be to use
> the frame foreground color. Or pretty much *anything* else than the
> frame background.
>
> I hope we can agree that in my example image, the pointer which has not
> been modified by emacs is much preferrable, and the one which has been
> modified is verging on unusable. In a multi-monitor configuration with
> many windows open, I find myself losing track of the mouse pointer and
> having difficulty finding it again.
>
> On a side note, even a black (unmodified) pointer is still highly
> visible against a black frame background, as long as the contrasting
> border around it is still present.

This is only true of some X systems, not those for which this code was
initially designed.  But I am currently not horribly disposed to debug
the details of Emacs code when one of its maintainers is deliberately
turning a deaf ear to very reasonable requests on my part.  Namely, not
merging a branch for another month or so, once I have had a chance to
correct a number of its deficiencies.