Subject: Re: bug#75930: 30.0.92; Setting default frame background color messes up mouse pointer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2025 20:49:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> Thanks, but I cannot reproduce this with the latest emacs-30 branch.
> Please show all of the data collected by "M-x report-emacs-bug" about
> your system and Emacs build configuration, perhaps what you see is
> specific to some particular build.

Sure I'll post it below. I'm posting the output as shown in emacs -Q,
since the bug isn't related to anything from my config/installed
packages.

I don't think this is related to a specific build, since it looks like
the bug has been present since at least 2018:
https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm/issues/513

Something that might be relevant is that I don't use any desktop
environment or login manager, but instead start my window manager
directly using startx. (The window manager I usually use is Emacs with
EXWM, but I have verified that I can reproduce from i3wm as well.)

I think desktop environments are likely to also meddle with the mouse
pointer, so if you are running one of those it will probably
mask/override the behaviour I'm seeing.

Data from "M-x report-emacs-bug" follows:
------

In GNU Emacs 30.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101014
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/ml6xyl3py6hqfdps2sypdi7s212y7k02-emacs-next-30.0.92-0.881d593
 --enable-fast-install --with-cairo --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/lars/.guix-home/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/ml6xyl3py6hqfdps2sypdi7s212y7k02-emacs-next-30.0.92-0.881d593/share/emacs/30.0.92/lisp
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 49646 9153) (symbols 48 5370 0) (strings 32 14312 2738)
 (string-bytes 1 538728) (vectors 16 9056)
 (vector-slots 8 126799 10092) (floats 8 22 24) (intervals 56 355 0)
 (buffers 992 12))