Subject: RE: bug#75924: maint: fix s390 buffer flushes

From: Eduard Stefes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 11:33:13 +0000

Hi,

On Mon, 2025-02-17 at 10:38 +0000, Eduard Stefes wrote:
> 
> ...
> This makes hufts pass and does not affect any other test case. I will
> do more exhaustive tests just to be sure that nothing else is
> affected.
> ...

So, I did some tests. I setup afl++ with a static seed and went through
some minutes of fuzzing on both x86 and s390x.

Results are as expected: 
- many tests(~50%) result in the same error message
- others result in different error messages
- I could not find a crash (note that i tested only a limited time)

at this stage I am hesitating to go forward and try to fix all cases
where hardware and software implementation generate different error
messages. 
I think we are at a solid state here, as both implementations run with
the same test suit. 
Investing more time to get a 100% error message overlap looks like a
bigger effort. We know that the hardware state machine does not simply
map the software, so I fear that it will result in very very cumbersome
error handling code.

> 
> 
> -- 
> Eduard Stefes <[email-masked]>