Subject: Re: bug#75918: [PATCH] Add new user option tab-bar-define-keys

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2025 09:41:36 +0200

> This controls which key bindings tab-bar creates. Values are t,the
> default, which defines all keys and is backwards compatible, 'numeric
> (tab number selection only), 'tab (TAB and SHIFT-TAB keys only), nil
> (which defines none).

Thanks for the patch.  I don't understand why to add 'numeric' when
it's already customized by 'tab-bar-select-tab-modifiers'.
If the problem is only with tab keys then a better name
would be 'tab-bar-tab-keys'.

> This is useful to avoid key binding conflicts, such as when folding in
> outline mode using TAB keys, or when a user wants to define her own
> tab-bar keys without first having to remove the defaults.

The current implementation was intended to allow removing the default keys
easily from 'tab-bar-mode-map'.  Here is the NEWS from bug#69578:

  *** New keymap 'tab-bar-mode-map'.
  By default it contains a keybinding 'C-TAB' to switch tabs, but only
  when 'C-TAB' is not bound globally.  You can unbind it if it conflicts
  with 'C-TAB' in other modes.

Is the new option intended only to replace in config files:

  (define-key tab-bar-mode-map [(control tab)] nil t)

with

  (setopt tab-bar-define-keys nil)

Last but not least: have you signed FSF papers for your patches to be applied?