Subject: bug#75910: 31; Deprecate minibuffer-completing-file-name

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2025 17:41:55 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> I think there's a bit of misunderstanding here: IIUC Tramp's use of
> `minibuffer-completing-file-name` is not to check "what are we
> completing?" but rather to check "are we completing?".
> IOW, it's (ab)using that variable to distinguish the case where Tramp is
> used as part of a completion, as opposed to something else.
>
> IOW, we should clarify exactly what those tests of
> `minibuffer-completing-file-name` actually aim to do, in Tramp's code,
> before we can figure out what to replace them with.

Agreed.

Just as a matter of fact, when I've introduced
minibuffer-completing-file-name into Tramp, I had to set it somewhere
else as well. For example let-binding tramp-mode, non-essential and
minibuffer-completing-file-name in pcomplete--entries, but I don't
remember the details.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.