Subject: Re: bug#75907: 30.0.93; Need bigger BASE_PURESIZE when building with PGTK variant

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2025 15:45:55 +0200

> From: Xiyue Deng <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2025 00:39:05 -0800
> 
> When building PGTK variant under Debian sbuild environment (with
> GCC-14), the build process will fail with "Pure lisp storage overflowed"
> (more error log at the end of email.)  However this seem to happen more
> likely under this environment only.  When using the Debian stable
> environment with GCC-12 it builds fine, so this looks to be GCC-14
> related.
> 
> As it seems historically the value of BASE_PURESIZE is allowed to grow
> to cope with similar errors, maybe increasing it again is acceptable?  I
> tried that increasing its starting value from 3,000,000 to 5,000,000 to
> be working, though I haven't tried a smaller value.  Patch attached.

Thanks.

Could you find the smallest increment that still allows you to build
Emacs?

Also, what happens if you "make bootstrap" -- do you still need to
enlarge pure size, or does it build with the current size?

And I see you are actually compiling with 30,000,000, which is 10
times larger than the number you reported:

>  -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat -Werror=format-security
>  -fcf-protection -Wall -DBASE_PURESIZE=30000000' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why is that?