Subject: Re: bug#75902: guile-gnutls does not set up search paths for the certificates

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2025 11:10:37 +0100

Hi,

Tomas Volf <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> GnuTLS (and thus Guile-GnuTLS) does not honor an environment variable.
>> Instead it’s up to applications to set up their certificate search path.
>>
>> See for example the discussion at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/46779>.
>
> Thank you for the link.  However after reading through it, and basing on
> your sentence above, is the guile-gnutls not in a position to be
> considered "application" that should configure the certificate search
> path?

Well yes, we can do anything we want.  My take on this is that bindings
should remain close to the library they’re wrapping, generally speaking,
to avoid bad surprises.

I think certificate search should either but up to actual applications
(like Guix), as is the case now, or changed in GnuTLS proper.  Doing it
in guile-gnutls just because we can easily do so doesn’t sound like a
good idea to me.

WDYT?

Ludo’.