Subject: Re: bug#7588: smtpmail: wrong file name for queued mail on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:39:30 +0200

> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:10:40 +0100
> From: Vida Gábor <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> When I start Emacs without loading my init.el, convert-standard-filename
> is loaded from w32-fns.el. Then I use an auxiliary package
> hexview-mode.el that loads files.el by (load-library "files"). After
> this, convert-standard-filename is redefined from files.el with this
> function body:

Now everything is clear.  This is a bug in hexview-mode.el: reloading
files.elc is not a transparent action on MS-Windows, because doing so
removes some redefinition of functions necessary for the Windows port
of Emacs.  convert-standard-filename is just one of those functions;
there are others.

I suggest to report this as a bug to the maintainers of
hexview-mode.el.  At the very least, if they must re-load files.el,
they should on Windows after that re-load w32-fns.el and ls-lisp.el.
Preferably, hexview-mode.el should not re-load files.el at all.

> Once again I want to say (don't know if it is important or not) that I
> use Emacs W32 downloaded from http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
> and not the one that is part of Cygwin, but I start it from within a
> Cygwin shell (to use its environment), and this may cause that the
> system-type is not cygwin but windows-nt.

system-type does not depend on the shell from which you invoke Emacs.
It depends on how your Emacs binary was built.  EmacsW32 is a native
Windows build, so its value of system-type should be windows-nt, no
matter what shell was used to launch it.

I will revert the changes made by Glenn in a day or two.

Thanks.