Subject: bug#7588: smtpmail: wrong file name for queued mail on Windows

From: Vida Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:10:40 +0100

Hi!

When I start Emacs without loading my init.el, convert-standard-filename
is loaded from w32-fns.el. Then I use an auxiliary package
hexview-mode.el that loads files.el by (load-library "files"). After
this, convert-standard-filename is redefined from files.el with this
function body:

  (if (eq system-type 'cygwin)
      (let ((name (copy-sequence filename))
	    (start 0))
	;; Replace invalid filename characters with !
	(while (string-match "[?*:<>|\"\000-\037]" name start)
	       (aset name (match-beginning 0) ?!)
	  (setq start (match-end 0)))
	name)
    filename)

system-type for me is windows-nt hence the conversion is not
performed. Without load of files.el, the problem reported in this bug
report disappears.

Once again I want to say (don't know if it is important or not) that I
use Emacs W32 downloaded from http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
and not the one that is part of Cygwin, but I start it from within a
Cygwin shell (to use its environment), and this may cause that the
system-type is not cygwin but windows-nt.

Thanks and regards,
Gábor