Subject: 30.0.91; dired-omit-expunge embeds unquoted filename in format string

From: Derek Upham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2025 10:26:27 -0800

Looking at “dired-omit-expunge” in dired-x.el, in this block:

    (setq count  (+ count
                    (dired-do-kill-lines
                     nil
                     (if dired-omit-verbose
                         (format "Omitted %%d line%%s in %s"
                                 (abbreviate-file-name
                                  dired-directory))
                       "")
                     init-count)))

Here that “format” call generates a format template, such that
“dired-do-kill-lines” can invoke “message” with that text plus 
count
information.

If the directory name contains embedded percentage characters, 
then the
template ends up with extra parameter slots.  The call to 
“message”
fails with an error and Dired does not present the directory.

    (error "Not enough arguments for format string")

(In case someone is curious “Why put percentages in the names at 
all?”,
I use it to map those directories 1:1 with URLs/websites.)

In GNU Emacs 30.0.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 2.24.33, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2024-10-19 built on
 priss.frightenedpiglet.com
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12101014
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

-- 
Derek Upham
[email-masked]