Subject: Re: bug#75840: 31.0.50; epg

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2025 18:27:23 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Both these commands provide some sort of feedback.  epa-mail-encrypt
  > says "Encrypting..." followed by "Encrypting...done", and
  > rmail-epa-decrypt says "Decrypting..." followed by
  > "Decrypting...done".  That should be enough for giving you feedback
  > about what's happening, no?

Wha I observed was that decrypting (or was it encrypting?) seemed to go
on for a very long time -- until I killed that command with C-g.

When I ran gpg from the shell, not under Emacs, I saw the mssafe
about rechecking the trust db.  Once that had been done to completion,
the problem went away.

  > Do you know what is the function that "checks trustdb"?  If it is not
  > called by epa-encrypt-region/epa-decrypt-region (which are the epg
  > workhorses of the two commands you mentioned), then maybe I missed
  > those calls which "check trustdb", and the message you wanted added is
  > elsewhere?

I don't know.  But since the message that gpg emits arrives in Emacs
via the process filter of that subprocess, I think the code that
handles the subprocess output received by the filter must see that
message.  I suspect it only ignores that message.
-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)