Subject: bug#75840: 31.0.50; epg

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2025 23:18:42 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Richard, can you please answer my questions below:

Please forgive the delay.  I will try.

  > > Please tell which command you invoked.  If you happen to know which
  > > function checks the trustdb and hung, that would be even more helpful.

It was either `rmail-epa-decrypt' or `epa-mail-encrypt'.

I don't know EPA much, but I think it is GPG that decides to
regenerate the trustdn, _not_ code in Emacs itself.  And that's
how it should be.

GPG outputs messages on the tty to tell the user that it is
regeneraing the trustdb.  If the user sees those messages, perse
will understand why the pause.

THe problem is, when GPG is running under Emacs, those messages come
out on a pty and the user does not see them.

 To fix this problem, code in Emacs needs to detect these messages
coming out on the pty, and inform the Emacs user somehow of the reason
for the pause.

I tried once to understand tte Elisp code that runs GPG and recognizes
its status messages, but I could not figure it out.  Can you reach the
expert on hhis code?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)