Subject: bug#75840: 31.0.50; epg

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2025 15:36:06 -0500

I ran an Emacs command that invokes gpg, and it hung.
It hung long enough that I concluded somehing was wrong.,
and ytuped C-g.  I tried again and got similar resilt.
I had no idea why encryption could do this.

Eentually I tried running gpg from a shell,.
It thought for a long time and then ouput stuff
about a trustdb check.  Since then gpg does not hang any more.
I surmise that there was nothing actually broken, only
the trustdb check took a long time.

I suggest changing Emacs to display `GPG is checking trustdb...'
around that, so users won't get alarmed.

I expect this would be easly for people who have worked
a lot on epa and or epg.  It would be useful to add
comments that explain in one place the way Emacs handles
communication with the unferior GPG, fo both output and input.
With that centralized eplanation, others would be able to
do this too.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 2.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-08-01 built on freetop
Repository revision: a2c439db687774f7b57959c39560993579c5d1bd
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Aramo (11.0)

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g' --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK2 ZLIB

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)