Subject: bug#75840: 31.0.50; epg

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 18:26:36 +0300

On 26/01/2025 14:22 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2025 15:36:06 -0500
>> 
>> 
>> I ran an Emacs command that invokes gpg, and it hung.
>> It hung long enough that I concluded somehing was wrong.,
>> and ytuped C-g.  I tried again and got similar resilt.
>> I had no idea why encryption could do this.
>> 
>> Eentually I tried running gpg from a shell,.
>> It thought for a long time and then ouput stuff
>> about a trustdb check.  Since then gpg does not hang any more.
>> I surmise that there was nothing actually broken, only
>> the trustdb check took a long time.
>> 
>> I suggest changing Emacs to display `GPG is checking trustdb...'
>> around that, so users won't get alarmed.
>
> Please tell which command you invoked.  If you happen to know which
> function checks the trustdb and hung, that would be even more helpful.
> I almost never use epg and am not familiar with its code, and I don't
> think we have epg experts on board to ask them to look into this.  So
> I need every possible help from you to find the place where such a
> message would be useful.

GnuPG version is also needed, maybe it's this problem documented in
/etc/PROBLEMS:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
*** Saving a file encrypted with GnuPG via EasyPG hangs.

This is known to happen with GnuPG v2.4.1.  The only known workaround
is to downgrade to a version of GnuPG older than 2.4.1, or upgrade to
version 2.4.4 and newer, which reportedly solves the problem.  Note
that GnuPG v2.2.42 and later also has this problem, so you should also
avoid those later 2.2.4x versions; v2.2.41 is reported to work fine.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---