Subject: bug#7583: closed (Re: bug#7583: 23.2; ido loads tramp too eagerly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:30:01 +0000

Your bug report

#7583: 23.2; ido loads tramp too eagerly

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7583: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7583
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7583: 23.2; ido loads tramp too eagerly
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:27:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I've just committed a patch for ido.el, which removes explicit loading
>> of Tramp. Autoloads shall be sufficient.
>>
>> This is all what could be done inside ido, IMHO. I've seen your other
>> report on the Tramp ML, and I'm working on this. Therefore, I believe we
>> can close *this* bug report.
>>
>> Do you agree?
>
> Sure; if there are problems I'll bring them up anew :-)

Thanks, I've closed the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 23.2; ido loads tramp too eagerly
From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 12:38:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This seems a bit overeager.  It takes a while to load up tramp, and ido
shouldn't need to consider tramp filename completions if tramp isn't
already loaded.

emacs -Q
`M-x ido-mode RET'
`C-x C-f'           <wait while tramp loads>

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
 of 2010-05-08 on black.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-x C-f C-SPC C-a C-SPC C-f C-SPC 
C-a M-w C-g M-! e m a c s 2 SPC - Q <return> C-! C-! 
M-! M-p <return> C-x M-x M-x e m <backspace> <backspace> 
r e p o <tab> r t - t r a <tab> C-, C-SPC C-, <backspace> 
C-e <tab> m <tab> <tab> s u <tab> <return> t r a m 
p C-! C-e SPC l o a d e d SPC b y SPC f i n d - f i 
l e SPC w i t h SPC i d o - m o d e SPC o n <return> 
M-! M-p <return> l a u n c h <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e m 
a c s SPC - Q <return> M - x C-a ` C-e SPC i d o - 
m o d e SPC R E T ' C-! M-! M-p <return> <return> ` 
C - x SPC C - f ' C-n C-p C-p C-p C-p C-k C-n C-n C-n 
C-p C-p C-p C-p <return> <return> C-p T h i s SPC s 
e e m s SPC a SPC b i t SPC o v e r e a g e r . SPC 
SPC M-x f i n d - l i b <tab> <return> i d o <return> 
C-s t r a m p C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-n C-p C-p C-p C-x 
C-k C-n C-n C-p C-p C-a C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
M-w C-x C-k y e s <return> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Making completion list... [3 times]
Wrote /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/byte-cache/!Users!dave!DropBox!home!.emacs.d!el-get!magit!Users!dave!DropBox!home!.emacs.d!el-get!semi!smime.elc
Formatting bug report buffer...............
Please enter your report.  Type C-c C-c to send, C-c C-k to abort.
(Shell command succeeded with no output) [2 times]
uncompressing ido.el.gz...done
ido.el.gz has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Auto-saving...
Mark saved where search started
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/static hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/static
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/richtext hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/richtext
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pym hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pym
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/product hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/product
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poem
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20_3 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20_3
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poe
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pcustom hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pcustom
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pces
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces-e20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pces-e20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces-20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pces-20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pccl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pccl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pccl-20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pccl-20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mule-caesar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mule-caesar
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcs-e20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mcs-e20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcs-20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mcs-20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcharset hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mcharset
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/invisible hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/invisible
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/inv-23 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/inv-23
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/emu hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/emu
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/broken hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/broken
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/apel-ver hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/apel-ver
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/sha1
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-pgp5 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-pgp5
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-pgp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-pgp
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-parse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-parse
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-gpg hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-gpg
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-def hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-def
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/md4
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/hex-util
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-xoxo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-wl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-wl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-vm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-vm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-remember hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-remember
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-publish
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mew hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mew
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mac-message hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-latex
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-jsinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-html
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-freemind hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-freemind
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-exp
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-exp-blocks hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-docbook hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docbook
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ascii
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/ntlm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-def
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/rfc2368 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/rfc2368
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/utf7 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/utf7
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/smime hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/smime
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/mailcrypt/timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/timer

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug jka-compr thingatpt find-func sendmail
gnus-cite gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mel
mime-def alist mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken
pcustom path-util poe pym static apel-ver product gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 sha1-el hex-util
hashcash reporter tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache
tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source shell password-cache format-spec
tramp-compat trampver ffap ido multi-isearch two-column iso-transl magit
diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-key-mode assoc image-mode
disp-table bookmark pp org-mac-message org-habit org-agenda org-id
org-crypt org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-complete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline
easy-mmode cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs vc-git sgml-mode help-mode
view .loaddefs elhome byte-code-cache dwa/packages auto-complete edmacro
kmacro popup byte-opt flex-mode derived bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone
org-install info package compile comint ring el-get autoload bytecomp
byte-compile cl cl-19 dired regexp-opt advice help-fns advice-preload
gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit initsplit warnings paren server autorevert delsel
cus-start cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)