Subject: 23.2; ido loads tramp too eagerly

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 12:38:46 -0500

This seems a bit overeager.  It takes a while to load up tramp, and ido
shouldn't need to consider tramp filename completions if tramp isn't
already loaded.

emacs -Q
`M-x ido-mode RET'
`C-x C-f'           <wait while tramp loads>

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
 of 2010-05-08 on black.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-x C-f C-SPC C-a C-SPC C-f C-SPC 
C-a M-w C-g M-! e m a c s 2 SPC - Q <return> C-! C-! 
M-! M-p <return> C-x M-x M-x e m <backspace> <backspace> 
r e p o <tab> r t - t r a <tab> C-, C-SPC C-, <backspace> 
C-e <tab> m <tab> <tab> s u <tab> <return> t r a m 
p C-! C-e SPC l o a d e d SPC b y SPC f i n d - f i 
l e SPC w i t h SPC i d o - m o d e SPC o n <return> 
M-! M-p <return> l a u n c h <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e m 
a c s SPC - Q <return> M - x C-a ` C-e SPC i d o - 
m o d e SPC R E T ' C-! M-! M-p <return> <return> ` 
C - x SPC C - f ' C-n C-p C-p C-p C-p C-k C-n C-n C-n 
C-p C-p C-p C-p <return> <return> C-p T h i s SPC s 
e e m s SPC a SPC b i t SPC o v e r e a g e r . SPC 
SPC M-x f i n d - l i b <tab> <return> i d o <return> 
C-s t r a m p C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-n C-p C-p C-p C-x 
C-k C-n C-n C-p C-p C-a C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
M-w C-x C-k y e s <return> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Making completion list... [3 times]
Wrote /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/byte-cache/!Users!dave!DropBox!home!.emacs.d!el-get!magit!Users!dave!DropBox!home!.emacs.d!el-get!semi!smime.elc
Formatting bug report buffer...............
Please enter your report.  Type C-c C-c to send, C-c C-k to abort.
(Shell command succeeded with no output) [2 times]
uncompressing ido.el.gz...done
ido.el.gz has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Auto-saving...
Mark saved where search started
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/static hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/static
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/richtext hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/richtext
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pym hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pym
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/product hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/product
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poem
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20_3 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20_3
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/poe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/poe
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pcustom hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pcustom
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pces
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces-e20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pces-e20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces-20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pces-20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pccl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pccl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/pccl-20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/pccl-20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mule-caesar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mule-caesar
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcs-e20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mcs-e20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcs-20 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mcs-20
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcharset hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/mcharset
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/invisible hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/invisible
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/inv-23 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/inv-23
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/emu hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/emu
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/broken hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/broken
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/apel/site-lisp/emu/apel-ver hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/emu/apel-ver
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/sha1
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-pgp5 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-pgp5
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-pgp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-pgp
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-parse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-parse
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-gpg hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-gpg
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-def hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-def
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/md4
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/hex-util
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-xoxo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-wl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-wl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-vm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-vm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-remember hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-remember
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-publish
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mew hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mew
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mac-message hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-latex
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-jsinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-html
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-freemind hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-freemind
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-exp
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-exp-blocks hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-docbook hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docbook
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ascii
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/ntlm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-def
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/rfc2368 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/rfc2368
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/utf7 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/utf7
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/smime hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/smime
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/mailcrypt/timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/timer

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug jka-compr thingatpt find-func sendmail
gnus-cite gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mel
mime-def alist mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken
pcustom path-util poe pym static apel-ver product gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 sha1-el hex-util
hashcash reporter tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache
tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source shell password-cache format-spec
tramp-compat trampver ffap ido multi-isearch two-column iso-transl magit
diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-key-mode assoc image-mode
disp-table bookmark pp org-mac-message org-habit org-agenda org-id
org-crypt org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-complete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline
easy-mmode cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs vc-git sgml-mode help-mode
view .loaddefs elhome byte-code-cache dwa/packages auto-complete edmacro
kmacro popup byte-opt flex-mode derived bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone
org-install info package compile comint ring el-get autoload bytecomp
byte-compile cl cl-19 dired regexp-opt advice help-fns advice-preload
gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit initsplit warnings paren server autorevert delsel
cus-start cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)