Subject: Re: bug#7583: 23.2; ido loads tramp too eagerly

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:38:26 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Thierry,

[Maybe we shall change the subject, and we shall go out of Bug#7583,
because we are discussing non-ido related topics]

>>> You disable then method / user name / host name completion. If you want
>>> so, you shall make it configurable, at least.
>> Actually yes, this completion is disabled, but why do you have to start 
>> tramp to have such completion?
>> i.e There is no need to start tramp to make a completion based on the
>> content of ~/.ssh/config
>>
>> Maybe tramp should have other regexp(s) that (try to) complete this without
>> starting tramp.
> Not needed i think.

Tramp gives you (as package ffap, for example) a mean to configure its
behaviour. You could let-bind `non-essential' to t; in this case Tramp
wouldn't disturb your own completion algorithm.

ido.el and icomplete.el use this variable such a way.

If you want to disable Tramp completely, you could let-bind `tramp-mode'
to t.

Best regards, Michael.