Subject: Re: [bug#75801] [PATCH python-team 2/2] gnu: Add python-numpy-2.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2025 14:03:42 +0100

Hello,

Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm (python-numpy-2): New variable.
>
> Change-Id: I07e7aac8c1bf7e686b1c543a11f9ecbf682d6ad5

I’m no Python expert so I can only comment on the surface of things and
encourage you to keep going, because I hear people would love to have
newer versions of NumPy and this looks like great work.

> +    (version "2.2.2")
> +    ;; XXX: Shipped with vendored-meson which is needed for SIMD and
> +    ;; BLAS/LAPACK features that are not yet available in upstream Meson.
> +    ;; See <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/numpy/numpy/
> +    ;; 2f3549c9d7c5048621568e431c86bc7530742723/doc/source/building/
> +    ;; understanding_meson.rst>

(Let me suggest not breaking URLs on multiple lines. :-))

The file also says “As of Dec'23 […]”.  Do you think current versions of
Meson would work?  That would be an improvement.

Also, not sure what they mean by SIMD, but in Guix we build generic code
and set the ‘tunable?’ property if there’s anything to be gained.

As for BLAS/LAPACK, I suspect it’s just about detecting libraries, so
hopefully not something big in Meson.

> +          ;; XXX: istl/test/matrixtest.cc includes <fenv.h> and fails to find
                     ^
Too much copy/paste.  :-)

Thanks for working on this!

Ludo’.