Subject: Re: bug#75784: Typo "unreadeable" in print.c; was exposed to Lisp

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2025 15:59:32 -0600

Pip Cet <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry. I meant to mention that I ran out of time for adding comments,
> then I ran out of time for mentioning I'd run out of time.

:-)

>>> +		  add_to_log ("Obsolete symbol `unreadeable-function' used.  Use `unreadable-function' instead.");
>
> BTW: add-to-log here, or message?  While my reasons for using the former
> were that I was confused, I think this is most likely going to happen in
> a noninteractive program, where messages might be used to generate its
> output.

While add_to_log is probably enough to notify users, maybe message is
indeed better because it's harder to miss.  So I'd probably lean towards
the latter, but I have no strong opinion.

>>> +      CHECK_LIST_END (overrides, original_overrides);
>
> This should signal if 'overrides' isn't a proper, finite, non-dotted list.
>
> (Lisp doesn't have "infinite" (non-circular) lists, but I tend to use
> that term for a list that is modified from a Lisp callback while we walk
> it, and keeps adding new cons cells so we never see the end of it.
>
> I've yet to find a way this causes a bug, but it's a scenario that would
> give me great personal satisfaction to fix it.  However, it'd be a
> strange bug, because calling Lisp means we should have a way to quit.)

No objection to fixing this, assuming that we can do it cleanly.