Subject: bug#75772: 29.4; Link to manual in *Help* for `buffer-stale-function' doesn't go where it should

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 03:48:55 +0000

emacs -Q
C-h v buffer-stale-function
Click the link in the last paragraph:

 For more information on how this variable is used by Auto Revert mode,
 see Info node `(emacs)Supporting additional buffers'.

The link takes you to the top of the Emacs manual.  It should take you
to the node in the link text, `Supporting additional buffers'.

However, it seems there is no such buffer, and no mention of
`buffer-stale-function' in the Emacs manual.

Tried looking in the Elisp manual.  No such node.  There's only one
occurrence of `buffer-stale-function', in node `Reverting'.
"auto-revert" also has search hits only in that node.

There are also "auto-revert" search hits in the Emacs manual, in nodes
`Auto Revert' and its subnodes, as well as other nodes.

It's not at all clear what node was intended, in which manual.  Whatever
was the intended target, the link should take you directly there, not
put you at the top of the manual.

This bug is apparently quite old.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-07-05 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.5247)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-sqlite3 --with-tree-sitter
 CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252