Subject: bug#75755: feature/igc: Missing IGC_CHECK_RES?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 17:12:38 +0200

> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 14:34:56 +0000
> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> "Eli Zaretskii" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > IMO, the single use of this macro is not worth of the complications
> > due to relying on an internal enumeration macro.  The single function
> > which uses this is a testing tool, which on top of that warns in its
> > doc string not to use it.  Introducing significant complexity and
> > breakage potential into Emacs due to this is IMO a tail wagging the
> > dog.
> 
> I agree with this paragraph; it's not worth it, let's drop the code.
> 
> > So I suggest that we define our own enumeration.  We could copy some
> 
> Why?

Because it's easy, and will still give us human-readable error
messages.

> So my preference is to remove the code and cast to typeof (MPS_RES_OK),
> briefly mentioning in a comment that this approach does not work yet,
> but might work in the future.

I'm fine with that as well, this being an obscure internal function.

> > maintenance work on our hands, but it doesn't seem a significant
> > problem for an internal function that almost no one should be using.
> 
> Just so we don't forget this isn't about this specific case only:

No, what I wrote was _only_ about this one case.  The other cases
should be considered separately, and the conclusion might well be
different.