Subject: bug#75754: styled_format stack usage/GC protection

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 10:08:58 +0100

Pip Cet <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Pip,

> Michael Albinus, could you please C-s ert-how in this message and
> comment briefly if appropriate? I think adding a new defstruct may help
> improve ert in at least three ways, including this one.  Please indicate
> whether this would be *potentially* acceptable; if it is, I'll prepare a
> separate bug.  If it isn't, I might have to think of something else.

> (Brief proposal relevant to several issues: If we want to test GC bugs
> more thoroughly, we need a way to tell ert to run them in a special way.
> I proposed extending ert with an ert-how defstruct for the make
> benchmark target, indicating "how" a test is to be run, and implemented
> it, but I don't think I've sent the patch yet.  Using this structure to
> create conditions for testing for GC bugs would be possible, and it
> would also be an easier way to make crash tests print a message before
> they're run.

No general objection from me. If you show the patch in a new bug, we'll
be able to discuss.

> Pip

Best regards, Michael.