Subject: [bug#75751] Request for merging "python-team" branch

From: Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 14:03:26 +0100

On 2025-03-26 09:51, Christopher Baines wrote:

> Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi Ricardo,
>>
>> I can contribute some time, please share your WIPs or
>>  I can take a list from data service 
>
> Thanks for volunteering, unfortunately I can't commit any time in the
> next couple of weeks.
>
> QA is still super fragile, but looking at python-team currently it has
> at least mostly built the branch, and while the information still isn't
> as clear as it could be, QA is highlighting at least some of the broken
> packages (at least 35 python-... things I think).
>
> Ideally these broken packages would be fixed before merging, but the
> current situation is still an improvement over the state of previous
> branch merges.

The issue is that Python development is not as well structured as those
of other languages.  I noticed for instance that almost all failing
packages in bioinformatics and astronomy are packages that are simply
not developped anymore.  We could remove them or maybe move them to
guix-past, but the effort for making them build again is not bearable in
Guix.  That still means we're going to remove at least 15 packages just
because they don't build.

guix-past with an older version of python sounds good to me, but I don't
know if we have a policy on that. 

-- 
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves