Subject: bug#75746: 31.0.50; Can't get password promote from plink 0.82

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 17:18:11 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 15:07:11 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm not sure I understand the description of the new behavior: it says
> > "(If there's no console involved, they'll fall back to the old
> > behaviour.)", but in our case, i.e. invoking PuTTY from Emacs on
> > Windows, there really isn't any console, since Emacs communicates with
> > PuTTY via a pipe.  Or am I missing something?
> 
> Tramp opens a new local process, running cmdproxy.

How does Tramp start cmdproxy?  If that's via make-process or
start-process, then the cmdproxy's standard input and output are
connected to a pipe.

> In its process buffer, it calls plink. So it might look like a
> console from the PuTTY POV.

I don't think so, see above.

Perhaps PuTTY considers anything that is not a regular file a console?
Otherwise, I don't understand why we see this issue.

But if you are okay with forcing the new command-line option on plink,
I don't mind.  I'm just worried what will happen to older versions of
plink when they are passed this option -- if they error out, we'll
need to detect the version or ask users to configure it, which is not
so good.