Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: hugs: Ignore integer overflow.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2025 21:45:47 +0200

I wouldn't hurry to close this thread, as it seems to be 
architecture-specific problem as today macOS runs on ARM, so Guix on 
non-x86 architectures might also be affected.

By the way, I just tested that this code doesn't crash Hugs: fromInteger 
(9^20) :: Int

Honestly I am extremely surprised by your willingness to help to 
bootstrap GHC, as it's hard to find anyone interested in Haskell 
community, and it might be impossible to convince GHC developers to 
cooperate.

However I am content with what I already have as I only wanted minimal 
bootstrappable Haskell compiler which I can flexibly change to port to 
Plan 9 and all architectures it supports, and someone else already 
ported Hugs there.

Having GHC on that minimal and portable system is just too much work and 
once ported won't even be able to build 99% of packages on Stackage 
because Plan 9 is anti-ISO and anti-POSIX, Plan 9 is research OS that 
from the beginning opposes existing standards and so maintaining GHC 
there would make it harder for me to experiment.