Subject: [bug#75688] GUIX_ify harmful environment variables and replace wrapper scripts with search path value files

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 10:27:54 +0900

Hi,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, dem 22.01.2025 um 17:42 +0800 schrieb 宋文武:
>> > You'd still have some glue code reading .VARIABLE and
>> > then doing a bunch of setenv before launching the actual program,
>> > no?  That glue code is currently the shell or Guile script used to
>> > wrap the binaries.
>> 
>> The point for those .VARIABLE files is without wrapper scripts
>> there're no setenv call anymore, ensure that getenv only get profiles
>> paths, in another words: reading from file and apply the values
>> replaced setenv then getenv and apply the values.
> I think this is too big a change to be sneakily added onto a
> replacement for an upstream environment variable with a GUIX_-prefixed
> one.  I think this should be discussed more broadly, using a Guix
> Consensus Document for example.

I was thinking about the GCD too, it's a bit more work, but this
solution appears novel and impacting enough to want to ensure all Guix
participants are aware of it and discuss any shortcoming it might have
in its current form.

> As for adding GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES, I think this could safely
> be done on gnome-team.
>
> What do y'all think?

I've posted some comments on the issue for the later.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim