Subject: Re: [bug#75688] [PATCH 0/2] Introduce GUIX_LIBRARY_PATH to replace harmful environment variables

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2025 09:28:04 +0200

Hi,

宋文武 <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I think we'll only add them for desktop (GTK and QT) applications, which
> have issues reported (broke foreign system):
>
>   GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES (fixed)
>   GUIX_GIO_EXTRA_MODULES (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/77057)
>   GUIX_QT_PLUGIN_PATH (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/73897)
>   GUIX_GTK{2,3,4}_PATH (patched)

OK.

> And maybe GUIX_XDG_DATA_DIRS and GUIX_XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, which have most
> of duplicated entries (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/23118)

Problem is that XDG_ variables are very generic and used pretty much by
everything, not just desktop applications; and it’s important IMO that
users be able to customize their code in the documented way: by setting
XDG_*.

Thanks,
Ludo’.