Subject: Re: [bug#75688] [PATCH 0/2] Introduce GUIX_LIBRARY_PATH to replace harmful environment variables

From: 宋文武 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2025 20:47:23 +0800

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Even, I would rather not change GCC and Binutils search paths at all:
> it’s all too risky (we’d have troubles understanding where problems come
> from, given semantics even more complex than they already are—remember
> the #include_next problems we’ve had?), and we’d diverge too
> significantly from upstream (search path issues would likely be “our”
> problem, no way to report it upstream, etc.).

Sure.

> Overall, I think we should be cautious about GUIX_-prefixing search path
> environment variables and be sure to weigh the pros and cons.

I think we'll only add them for desktop (GTK and QT) applications, which
have issues reported (broke foreign system):

  GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES (fixed)
  GUIX_GIO_EXTRA_MODULES (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/77057)
  GUIX_QT_PLUGIN_PATH (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/73897)
  GUIX_GTK{2,3,4}_PATH (patched)

And maybe GUIX_XDG_DATA_DIRS and GUIX_XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, which have most
of duplicated entries (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/23118)