Subject: [bug#75688] Replace wrapper scripts with search path value files in search-paths.d

From: 宋文武 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2025 13:52:50 +0800

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Liliana,
>
> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Am Dienstag, dem 28.01.2025 um 22:10 +0900 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
>>> Other than that, it looks reasonable to me; it'll need a feature
>>> branch;  I'm not so sure it requires a GCD anymore since if it works
>>> correctly, it won't impact the API nor the usage of the system.  What
>>> do you think, Liliana?
>> I think it does deserve a GCD.  I'm very much not interested in
>> maintaining a specific search-pathesque feature on gnome-team only.  In
>> my opinion, there are several design decisions to discuss, e.g. file
>> naming, content layout, …, and if we do go that route, then IMHO we
>> should also offer at least one — nicer would be multiple — reference
>> implementation(s) if not proper ready-to-use packages.

Sure, the other target is qt-build-system and KDE, it's not GNOME only.

>>
>> I share both 宋文武's concern that this feels hacky and your concern that
>> we ought to improve over environment variables.  Now, they do say that
>> too many cooks spoil the broth, but in my opinion cooking our own soup
>> is ill-advised in this instance :)
>
> 宋文武, a GCD involves some writing and time to allow for discussing,
> but if you have the will to drive it I'd be happy to sponsor it.

No problem, I'll write a GCD later.  While I'm not optimistic about that
we can upstream the patches we needed, but I think the maintaince burden
is reasonable.

Thank you!