Subject: bug#75679: Frequent TLS error in `guix substitute'

From: "Timo Wilken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 10:24:56 +0100

Hi Ludo’,

Thank you very much for your effort in tracking this down!

Just to be clear, in case this is server-related: I reported this issue when
it happened to me with bordeaux, but I have a (nonfree) substitute server
before it in the list, which fails more frequently (and which I'm happy to
name on request).

I can't remember ever seeing the same failure with ci.guix.gnu.org, but that
may just be down to random chance, since ci.guix is checked last on my system.

So, my list of substitute servers is, in order:

1. https://substitutes.[redacted].org: most frequent TLS errors
2. https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org: very occasional TLS errors
3. https://ci.guix.gnu.org: no TLS errors observed

Ludovic Courtès wrote 1 weeks ago <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76558>:
> At long last. Note that we'll need to update the ‘guix’ package to make this
> change effective.

That explains why it's still happening to me then!

Cheers,
Timo