Subject: Re: bug#75672: 31.0.50; scratch/igc memory usage/collection issues

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2025 14:51:25 +0000

"Alexis Purslane" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> We're working on fixing some GTK memory leaks in bug#75636; it's
>> possible those are partially responsible for growing memory usage.
>
> I rebuilt Emacs with lucid instead of GTK just for the hell of it, and
> it's still exhibiting exorbitant monotonicly increasing memory usage, so
> I don't think it's GTK. I've had one Emacs open for about two hours,

Thanks!  That narrows it down.

What worries me most is the continuing increase: MPS should be better at
handing back memory to the operating system than the old allocator, not
worse.

> just with GNUS open in it, doing nothing, on another workspace, and it's
> using 533MB. The one I'm using for messing around with SLY and Common
> Lisp is using 1.5GB currently, and I've seen it reach similar hights

Just to clarify, this is physical memory used, not virtual size, right?

> without an inferior lisp running so I don't think it's that. Still
> waiting for a freeze to happen again to attach GDB to it.

Thanks!

Pip