Subject: bug#75672: 31.0.50; scratch/igc memory usage/collection issues

From: Alexis Purslane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2025 02:33:15 +0000

"Pip Cet" <[email-masked]> writes:

> However, M-x igc-stats and M-x igc-roots-stats may provide further
> insight (use the "s" key to get a snapshot.  Sometimes I have to hit "a"
> first, but that's possibly local breakage).

igc-stats:
    
IGC_OBJ_BLV                                944           45312         48            48
IGC_OBJ_BUILTIN_SUBR                         0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_BUILTIN_SYMBOL                       0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_BUILTIN_THREAD                       0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_BYTES                                0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_CONS                           2603329        62479896         24            24
IGC_OBJ_DUMPED_BIGNUM_DATA                   0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_DUMPED_BUFFER_TEXT                   0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_DUMPED_BYTES                         5           19936       3987         19528
IGC_OBJ_DUMPED_CHARSET_TABLE                 1           60480      60480         60480
IGC_OBJ_DUMPED_CODE_SPACE_MASKS              1           10248      10248         10248
IGC_OBJ_FACE                              1341          418392        312           312
IGC_OBJ_FACE_CACHE                           3             144         48            48
IGC_OBJ_FLOAT                             8582          205968         24            24
IGC_OBJ_FWD                                  0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_HANDLER                             27            8424        312           312
IGC_OBJ_IMAGE                               12            2976        248           248
IGC_OBJ_IMAGE_CACHE                          1              56         56            56
IGC_OBJ_INTERVAL                         82228         5262592         64            64
IGC_OBJ_INVALID                              0               0          0             0
IGC_OBJ_ITREE_NODE                         219           19272         88            88
IGC_OBJ_ITREE_TREE                          31             992         32            32
IGC_OBJ_MARKER_VECTOR                      113          148016       1309         32784
IGC_OBJ_PAD                              16002        31187680       1948       4967448
IGC_OBJ_STRING                          331439        13257560         40            40
IGC_OBJ_STRING_DATA                     343491        27504664         80        262152
IGC_OBJ_SYMBOL                           50996         2855776         56            56
IGC_OBJ_VECTOR                          268293        25462616         94        524304
IGC_OBJ_WEAK_HASH_TABLE_STRONG_PART         28          216800       7742         63328
IGC_OBJ_WEAK_HASH_TABLE_WEAK_PART           28           51424       1836         15632
PVEC_BIGNUM                              15118          483776         32            32
PVEC_BOOL_VECTOR                           438           17440         39            40
PVEC_BUFFER                                202          202000       1000          1000
PVEC_CHAR_TABLE                           1486          916112        616           624
PVEC_CLOSURE                             27259         1399256         51            64
PVEC_CONDVAR                                 0               0          0             0
PVEC_FINALIZER                               8             320         40            40
PVEC_FONT                                26460         3185160        120           312
PVEC_FRAME                                   3            2112        704           704
PVEC_FREE                                61916         2012024         32           120
PVEC_HASH_TABLE                           5281          464728         88            88
PVEC_MARKER                              22598         1265488         56            56
PVEC_MISC_PTR                                0               0          0             0
PVEC_MODULE_FUNCTION                         0               0          0             0
PVEC_MODULE_GLOBAL_REFERENCE                 0               0          0             0
PVEC_MUTEX                                   0               0          0             0
PVEC_NATIVE_COMP_UNIT                      427           75152        176           176
PVEC_NORMAL_VECTOR                       71693         9205512        128        524304
PVEC_OBARRAY                                88            2816         32            32
PVEC_OTHER                                   0               0          0             0
PVEC_OVERLAY                               219            8760         40            40
PVEC_PROCESS                                49           18424        376           376
PVEC_RECORD                               3425          208504         60           424
PVEC_SQLITE                                  0               0          0             0
PVEC_SUBR                                27492         2639232         96            96
PVEC_SUB_CHAR_TABLE                       3961         3324248        839          1048
PVEC_SYMBOL_WITH_POS                         0               0          0             0
PVEC_TERMINAL                                1             552        552           552
PVEC_THREAD                                  0               0          0             0
PVEC_TS_COMPILED_QUERY                       0               0          0             0
PVEC_TS_NODE                                 0               0          0             0
PVEC_TS_PARSER                               0               0          0             0
PVEC_USER_PTR                                0               0          0             0
PVEC_WEAK_HASH_TABLE                        28            1120         40            40
PVEC_WINDOW                                 30           16560        552           552
PVEC_WINDOW_CONFIGURATION                  111           13320        120           120
PVEC_XWIDGET                                 0               0          0             0
PVEC_XWIDGET_VIEW                            0               0          0             0
commit-limit                                 1              -1          1             0
committed                                    1       400138240  400138240             0
pause-time                                 nil             0.1        nil           nil
reserved                                     1       536875008  536875008             0
spare                                      nil            0.75        nil           nil
spare-committed                              1       217436160  217436160             0

igc-roots-stats:

bc-stack                       ambig               1         4194304
buffer                         ambig               2            1216
charset-table                  ambig               1           60480
control stack                  ambig               1             nil
dump-pins                      ambig               1              24
exact                          exact               1            8192
exact-n                        exact            1286         1112856
exact-ptr                      exact               7              56
kdb-buffer                     ambig               1          262144
lispsym                        exact               1           99120
main-thread                    exact               1             536
pure                           ambig               1         5166672
rdstack                        exact               1             528
specpdl                        exact               1           12256
staticvec                      exact               1           16384
terminal-list                  ambig               1               8
tty-list                       exact               1               8
xpalloc-ambig                  ambig               1            8040
xpalloc-exact                  exact               2             856
xzalloc-ambig                  ambig              11         1286552

I hope that helps -- I certainly have no idea how to read it.

Oh, and by the way - does anyone know how to do a /wide/ reply in a
GNUS Article buffer to the selected part of that message, instead of just a
regular reply via R? So I don't forget to Cc debbugs by accident.