Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Fixes for subshells and redirections

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 10:26:11 +0200

Hello,

"Ludovic Courtès" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Timothy, Janneke: could you review/apply these Gash patches and cut a
> release?  The ‘core-packages-team’ has been blocked on this issue for
> months.
>
> We cannot easily apply patches to the package definitions because
> ‘patch’ isn’t available this early bootstrapping phase.  So if there’s
> no “official” Gash release, we would have to host a copy somewhere,
> which is not ideal.  But perhaps we can take that route if a Gash
> release cannot be made by, say, May 5th?

I cloned the repo and pushed the branch here (I had to adjust
‘tests/existing.org’ because the new test would fail in VPATH builds, as
shown by ‘make distcheck’):

  https://codeberg.org/civodul/gash/src/branch/EBADF-fixes

It tagged it as “3.0.1”.  Feel free to eventually merge it.  (In the
future, we should also make sure several people have commit rights to
the official repo.)

I verified with:

  ./pre-inst-env guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) gcc-mesboot)'

(This took ~18h on a beefy machine!)  The build log does not show any
funky backtrace during ./configure runs.

I pushed an update of the ‘gash’ package in commit
b4693b9d4e131a96e8491651914d6c47d7eca7af of ‘core-packages-team’.

So I think this unlocks the ‘core-packages-team’ branch.

Next up: rebasing on current ‘master’.

Ludo’.