Subject: bug#75655: configure doesn't update Makefile

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 20:23:39 +0000

"Stefan Kangas" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> You should not have uncommitted changes, ever.  Always either commit
>> them (on a local branch if needed) or stash them.  Keeping uncommitted
>> changes runs the risk of pushing them inadvertently with unrelated
>> changes (it happened to me and to others).
>
> FWIW, while you're probably right in the abstract, I have a habit of
> doing exactly that.  This is for various reasons: it's impractical to
> commit them only to a specific branch, stashing gets old quick, and it's
> also quite inconvenient to keep them outside the repository.  Right now,
> for instance, I have nine important yet untracked files in my
> repository.

I'm still not sure why of those two scenarios:

A:
1. make some changes
2. commit them to a local branch
3. accidentally push that brach

is more likely than

B:
1. make some changes
2. accidentally run "git add"
3. accidentally run "git commit"
4. accidentally push the changes

It seems that (B) requires three mistakes, (A) only one.

> I can't remember that I have ever committed any unrelated files by
> accident.  It seems hard to make that mistake in Magit, but what do I
> know.

Those differences might explain a lot.  I use magit, too (but not for
pushing; I have a well-ingrained sequence of commands starting with
"git push --dry-run savannah HEAD:feature/igc" for that.)

Pip