Subject: bug#75655: configure doesn't update Makefile

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 12:06:30 -0600

Pip Cet via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> If we can't remove the advice (the first case has already been made
> unnecessary (commit 4939f58d2c45062d5eac3f4c845b4494cf113f1f); the
> $(wildcard) proposal merely does the same thing for the second case), we
> should, at least, recommend "git clean --interactive -dX" instead.
>
> -i rather than -f asks the user for confirmation; -X instead of -x will
> avoid the unnecessary deletion of files we're almost certain are
> valuable. This option and the "-d" option don't have long equivalents.
>
> Confirmed to work in this case.

+1

I think the advice is occasionally useful, but making it safe is even
better.

At the very least, we should write in big bold letters to be careful
with this command, but I'd prefer just changing it to the safe version
as I fail to see any drawbacks.