Subject: 30.0.93; Unexpected indentation of members of inner classes in java-ts-mode

From: Hennes Märtins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2025 16:48:41 +0100

Create a new java-ts-mode buffer with the following content:

class Foo
{
    class Bar
    {
        int baz;
    }
}

Indent the whole buffer (C-x h <tab>) and it becomes:

class Foo
{
    class Bar
    {
            int baz;
    }
}

The indentation level for baz becomes three, but I would expect it to be
two. A level of two is used in java-mode too.

If I put the opening curly brace to the end of the previous line, the
indentation level becomes two as expected:

class Foo {
    class Bar {
	int baz;
    }
}

I found a personal workaround for this by modifying the variable
java-ts-mode--indent-rules. I replace the entry:

((parent-is "class_body") column-0 c-ts-common-statement-offset)

with:

((parent-is "class_body") parent-bol java-ts-mode-indent-offset)

That works for me, but I am not sure if that is the correct solution.

I can reproduce this also in:
GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-01-18

In GNU Emacs 30.0.93 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0) of 2024-12-27 built on starlight
Repository revision: 186ea407326166ee4669ce6fe84871c1e16c657c
Repository branch: emacs-30
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.5 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --with-mailutils --with-json --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK
JPEG LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE
XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 49847 24349) (symbols 48 5370 0) (strings 32 14514 1668)
 (string-bytes 1 391591) (vectors 16 8999)
 (vector-slots 8 126175 11702) (floats 8 24 3) (intervals 56 288 0)
 (buffers 992 10))