Subject: bug#75645: Implement something like (bookmark-bmenu-list) for registers

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2025 20:13:50 +0000

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2025 at 7:44 PM Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 18, 2025 at 7:20 PM Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:
>> > >
>> > > I like that (register-delete) command.  But I think it should error
>> > > out if I specify an already empty register.
>> >
>> > You can't (try to) delete an empty register with the preview.
>>
>> (??) Maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>> If I execute the (delete-register) command you wrote, and then I type
>> a key which doesn't currently have any register value, what I see is
>> that the preview window and the prompt message disappear, as if the
>> command had finished correctly. But I could have accidentally hit the
>> wrong key, and thought everything went well, when it didn't.
>
> Oh, I think I found the misunderstanding: If I do
> (customize-set-variable 'register-use-preview 'insist), then I indeed
> get an error ("[not matching]") in the echo area.
>
> But with the default value of register-use-preview (traditional), the
> (delete-register) command should error out if I try to delete an empty
> register, like it does if I try to jump to an empty register.

Yes the default value (traditional) doesn't handle properly such issues
among other things.

-- 
Thierry