Subject: bug#75645: Implement something like (bookmark-bmenu-list) for registers

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2025 20:06:01 +0100

On Sat, Jan 18, 2025 at 7:44 PM Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2025 at 7:20 PM Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:
> > >
> > > I like that (register-delete) command.  But I think it should error
> > > out if I specify an already empty register.
> >
> > You can't (try to) delete an empty register with the preview.
>
> (??) Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> If I execute the (delete-register) command you wrote, and then I type
> a key which doesn't currently have any register value, what I see is
> that the preview window and the prompt message disappear, as if the
> command had finished correctly. But I could have accidentally hit the
> wrong key, and thought everything went well, when it didn't.

Oh, I think I found the misunderstanding: If I do
(customize-set-variable 'register-use-preview 'insist), then I indeed
get an error ("[not matching]") in the echo area.

But with the default value of register-use-preview (traditional), the
(delete-register) command should error out if I try to delete an empty
register, like it does if I try to jump to an empty register.

-- 
Dani Moncayo