Subject: bug#75634: closed (Re: bug#75634: 29.1; Clearer prompt in info-lookup-change-mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2025 10:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75634: 29.1; Clearer prompt in info-lookup-change-mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75634: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75634
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75634: 29.1; Clearer prompt in info-lookup-change-mode
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2025 12:12:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2025 09:19:44 -0500
> 
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > But if you prefer this choice of words, then how about
> >
> >   Major mode whose documentation to search for this %s
> 
> I prefer "manuals" to "documentation" but otherwise this is
> fine.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-30 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.1; Clearer prompt in info-lookup-change-mode
From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
To: GNU Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2025 11:02:59 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I was reading emacs-devel in gnus and while reading a patch
I wanted to lookup named-let in the manual.  I ran
info-lookup-symbol but instead of having info open as usual
I was confronted with the prompt "Use symbol help mode: ".
My completion system (vertico) showed me a bunch of elisp
symbols, though it didn't quite register that they all ended
in "-mode" and I was wondering why named-let wasn't the
symbol at the top of the list as would normally happen.

I now understand the reason for this. It needs to find the
right manual and normally looks that up based on the major
mode, but gnus-article-mode wasn't of help here, so it was
asking me which major mode to use; but I didn't understand
the prompt and think it could be improved.

The prompt is in info-lookup-change-mode and the "symbol" is
either "symbol" or "file" depending on how the lookup
command was invoked.  I think something like "Major-mode to
lookup %s with: " would be much clearer.  It would be even
better if the prompt could include the actual string that
would be looked up ("named-let" in my example).

Howard

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0,
Carbon Version 165 AppKit 2113.6) of 2023-08-08 built on
Mac-1691500888998.local
Repository revision: e173249a143cee72d59ae78c4e11038512f5a00f
Repository branch: 29.1-mac-10.0
Windowing system distributor 'Apple Inc.', version 13.7.2
System Description:  macOS 13.7.2