Subject: Re: bug#75634: 29.1; Clearer prompt in info-lookup-change-mode

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2025 11:11:52 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The prompt is in info-lookup-change-mode and the "symbol" is
>> either "symbol" or "file" depending on how the lookup
>> command was invoked.  I think something like "Major-mode to
>> lookup %s with: " would be much clearer.
>
> How about
>
>   Major mode to use for looking up help on this %s
>
> instead?

It's better than original.

1. I don't love "help" in here, because it's not using
help-mode but is looking up documentation in info manuals.

2. Both your and my suggestions suffer that they don't
explain that the major mode is used to qualify the symbol
(it's a lisp symbol) and not the "lookup mode" (like help or
info or man).

How about this?

  Use which major mode's manuals to lookup this %s

Other's I considered if you don't like the above:

  Which major mode's manuals to use to lookup this %s
  Major mode's manuals to use to lookup this %s
  Lookup this %s using the manuals of which major mode
  Lookup this %s using which major mode's manuals

-- 

Howard