Subject: bug#75629: 30.0.93; restart-emacs does not reliably restart Emacs

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2025 12:06:30 +0100

Sometimes `restart-emacs' fails to restart Emacs. In my setup this
happens in particular after recompiling my init.el and then invoking
`restart-emacs'. This is an unfortunate coincidence, since my only
motivation to restart Emacs is in the case where I've applied
significant configuration changes. My Emacs is started from .xsession
via `exec emacs' since EXWM is my window manager. Unfortunately I've not
managed to create a minimal recipe so far. Has this problem been
observed before?

In GNU Emacs 30.0.93 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.2, Xaw scroll bars)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-dbus
 --without-selinux --without-threads --without-gsettings --without-gpm
 --with-cairo --with-cairo-xcb --disable-gc-mark-trace --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD
LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB