Subject: Re: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2025 18:40:52 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> > The idea for fixing is that the macro instead introduces a new
> > uninterned symbol instead of an interned one, and uses that in the
> > expansion (see manual): a new uninterned symbol can't clash with any
> > existing variable.  `macroexpand' and `macroexpand-all' are your friend:
> > use these to see what you get.  Later you can do that in your mind only.
> > If you don't do that _all_the_time_, you'll get crazy with this stuff.
>
> AFAIU you can't do that all the time though, like if you want to
> introduce a local var in your macro that may be used in body e.g. `it`
> in cl-loop.  Correct me if I am wrong.

With "all the time" I meant "macroexpand little examples in your mind
all the time".

About what you hint at: yes of course, variables that are not just
additional helper variables but something that the macro officially
provides, or special variables the macro code intents to manipulate, are
"really meant" and no accidental clashes.

So nothing special here, no rocket science involved.  But thanks for
preventing a possible misunderstanding.

Michael.