Subject: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 21:17:53 +0100

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Tassilo,

>> Below is an updated patch for autorevert.el. I control this now via
>> auto-revert-active-p; no further need to check in auto-revert-buffer.
>>
>> Could you, pls, test?
>
> Of course.  It does not contain any changes to dired, so I've applied
> the changes of your previous patch giving this complete patch:
>
> And yes, it works. :-)

Thanks. I'll polish the patch, and if nobody objects, I'll push it to
master in a couple of days.

> Side-note: at first, it did not work after applying the patch and
> running "make" in the emacs directory (reproducibly!), a problem I've
> had before somewhere up the thread.  The original bug was there again.
> I placed a watch on inhibit-auto-revert-buffers which revealed that it
> was set by the computation for all marked files in order to present them
> at the yes-or-no-p prompt.  But it was not set during the actual
> processing!  I had to manually delete the dired and autorevert ELC files
> and "make" again.
>
> Does anyone have a clue why?  Does a recompile of a changed file with
> existing ELC not produce it from scratch?

Usually, this is due to macro-expansion. If you change a macro, you must
also recompile the file(s) using the macro. IOW, removing dired.elc
prior compiling would have been sufficient.

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Best regrds, Michael.