Subject: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 11:35:52 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Tassilo,
>
>> Even if we would like to cater for this case, I don't understand how
>> your approach addresses the retries for buffers that skipped/inhibited
>> auto-revert.  I mean, I can envision that auto-revert maintains a list
>> of buffers it skipped but how would that be worked through?  Another
>> timer that runs more often that auto-revert-interval?
>
> I haven't investigated this yet. Perhaps you are right, and a later
> polling does the job. But this problem is recent anyway (if it is a
> problem); my proposal doesn't make it worse.

Well, there is the user option auto-revert-avoid-polling. Per default it
is set to nil; meaning that if a buffer misses an auto-revert triggered
by file notification, the next poll will do. This is what we want.

If a user changes this option, it is his/her decision.

>> Bye,
>> Tassilo

Best regards, Michael.