Subject: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 22:50:37 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Hmm.
>
> It will be more and more complex. Not desirable.
>
> I know, that the variant with 'inhibit-auto-revert' has been
> refused. However, I repeat this proposal. The difference is, that I
> propose not to use t and nil as values, but a list of buffers or nil. By
> this, a buffer could be suppressed temporarily from auto-revert by
> adding it to this list, for example in a let-bind.

But this will come with the same problems - or we need to change each
command individually and third party packages can still be affected by
the same issue - which is something I rather would prefer to avoid.

What advantage would your approach have?  A global variable bound to a
list of buffers has its advantages, but also its disadvantages, it still
has to be kept up to date explicitly, dead buffers have to be removed,
etc.  What you say seems a bit unrelated to what I outlined.

I haven't thought about any other cases than dired at all, though.

Thx,

Michael.